Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Color Mixing Blog

As I sat at my desk mixing seven different shades of yellow mixed with violet, I was definately wondering how this would really help me in my art school career. I figured that if we are already in art college, certainly everyone already knows how to mix color. As I continued to mix each different shade of yellow, it became more apparent that this activity did in fact serve a useful purpose. I began to realize that this was actually somewhat helpful in learning about the interactions of colors. Watching the yellow turn to a progressivley more repulsive shade of brown allowed me to see the exact progression on the hue when it is mixed with its compliment.
I picked the color yellow for my color mixing project because it is my least favorite color out of the primaries, so I wouldn't feel as bad wasting so much paint. After completing the assignment, my opinion really hasn't changed greatly. I think i dislike yellow less, but it is still nowhere close to my favorite color. Yellow just doesn't hold any appeal for me at all, maybe because it always seems that unpleasant items are yellow in color. Things such as peeling old wall paper, lemons, plastic raincoats, and greasy potato chips, just to name a few. It's basically such an obnoxious color, and it usually dominates anything in a color scheme unless used very sparingly.

No comments: